Federal Programs at La Grange ISD

La Grange ISD offers the following Federal Programs:

  • Bilingual Program
  • ESL Program
  • Migrant
  • Homeless
  • Foster Care

Information regarding each program may be found by scrolling down or looking in the left column or by contacting Nicole Ramirez, Federal Programs Director, at 979-968-7000, ext. 7030.


Annual Title I Meeting Recording, September 28, 2020
Zoom Link: https://esc13.zoom.us/rec/share/EbRAQxlB9RFrs1C6jiUaJjprRw1oGreNfrFI6lIGRHmcJU5dpDJeXYRir1SvKg8.09JUE32RKoG4yJQA

Password: ?Pb7qLrv
Questions/Comments: Contact Nicole Ramirez 979-968-7000

SPANISH Annual Title I Meeting Recording, September 28, 2020
Zoom Link: https://esc13.zoom.us/rec/share/FmM43NefSW2LQdKdpZNkGeDKRVfL6lCxShUeohyXKGBcaQipXd8BYQmrNW511YsO.9w07LtKQZTOfH99x

Password: u4QdRjh=
Preguntas: Contactarse a Nicole Ramirez 979-968-7000

School & Parent Compact        English & Spanish
Parent & Family Engagement Policy     English     Spanish

Notice of Participation in Federal Programs

Bilingual Program

The Bilingual Program offered at La Grange ISD is based upon the Transitional/Early Exit Model. It is available for students who are identified as Limited English Proficient (LEP). The program provides the following:

  • Transitions students to English-only instruction over a period of time
  • Provides literacy instruction in Spanish
  • Offers instruction in English for social and academic language development

In La Grange, Math, Social Studies and Science are taught in English as indicated in the Bilingual Exception. Elective classes such as art, music and PE are also taught in English. The transition to ESL classes will occur when students enter grade 3.

For more information, please contact:

Bilingual Director: Nicole Ramirez 
Email: nicole.ramirez@lgisd.net

ESL Program

ESL Coordinator: Nicole Ramirez
Email: nicole.ramirez@lgisd.net

At La Grange ISD, the English as a Second Language program is as follows:

Gr. PreK - 8: English as a Second Language (ESL)
An English program that serves students identified as limited English proficient by providing a certified ESL teacher in either a pull out or content based model. In the pull out model, the teacher provides supplementary instruction for English Language Arts and Reading. All content areas receive supplementary instruction in a content based model. Students remain in a mainstream instructional arrangement for both programs.

Gr. 9-12: English as a Second Language (ESL) and Sheltered Instruction (SI)
Sheltered Instruction is teaching strategies used to serve students identified as limited English proficient by providing academic subject matter and linguistic assistance to English Language Learners in the form of visuals, modified texts, modified assignments, etc. The teacher makes classroom content comprehensible while students are developing English proficiency.


ADULT ESL (English as a Second Language) and High School Equivalency Exam (GED) Classes at the Norma Webb Center, La Grange ISD
In collaboration with Community Action, Inc of Central Texas, Classes will be held at the Norma Webb Center. Adult ESL and Adult GED Classes in English and Spanish are offered two nights a week, Mon/Wed from 6-8pm. All classes and services are for adults 19 years and older and are free. For more information, contact Dr. Glenda Rose, with Community Action, Inc of Central Texas(512-985-5169) Current Registration Information can be found at  https://bit.ly/BastropLeeFayetteAdultEd

ADULT ESL (English as a Second Language) Classes - Classes in La Grange at Randolph Recrecation Center, Building A 653 East Pearl Street. Mondays and Wednesdays 6-8pm and Tuesdays and Thursdays 6-8pm. Fee of $10 covers all materials. All are welcome! For more information contact: Julie Ardery (512-636-9057).

The Schulenburg Campus of Blinn College offers the following ADULT classes:

GED (General Educational Development) Classes- A class offered to ADULTS (ages 18+) who did not attain their high school diploma. New students may join the class at any time. Meetings are held at the Schulenburg Public Library on Saturdays 9-11:45 am.

ESL (English as a Second Language) Classes - A class designed to assist foreign-born students with learning to speak and understand English. New students may join the class at any time. Class meets at the Blinn College-Schulenburg Campus on Wednesdays 5:30-8:00PM in Room 21. 

Adult ESL Class-Flatonia is offered at Sacred Heart church in Flatonia on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Classes are offered at no charge.

Homeless and Foster Care

Liaison: Nicole Ramirez  979-968-7000, ext 7030

The McKinney-Vento Assistance Act

The McKinney-Vento Act (Section 725) specifies and protects the rights of children and youth in homeless situations. Highlights include:

  • Immediate Enrollment - The right to be enrolled immediately in school, without immunization or academic records, and birth certificate, regardless of district policy.
  • Transportation - Students in highly mobile or homeless situations are entitled to transportation to and from the school of origin, if it is feasible, in the student's best interest, and requested by the parent, guardian, or unaccompanied youth.
  • Services - Students experiencing homelessness are entitled to the same programs and services that are available to other children in the District, such as gifted and talented education, special education, vocational education, English Language Learner services, and tutoring. Students are automatically eligible for Title I services and Districts must set aside funds as necessary to provide services.

Foster Care

When children can't live safely at home and no appropriate non-custodial parent, relative, or close family friend is willing and able to care for them, the court can give temporary legal possession to CPS. CPS temporarily places these children in foster care. Foster care settings include:

  • Foster family homes
  • Foster family group homes
  • Residential group care facilities
  • Facilities overseen by another state agency

Foster care is meant to be temporary until a permanent living arrangement is found. However, it can become permanent usually when a foster parent adopts or accepts permanent managing conservatorship of a child.

Documents Needed to Enroll a Student in Foster Care

  • Birth Certificate or other proof of identity
  • Copy of previous school records
  • Proof of immunizations
  • Placement Authorization form (2085)
  • Copy of child’s school records